Saturday, November 22, 2008

Slightly Shocked.



****WARNING: SPOILERS OF THE TWILIGHT MOVIE!!!!!!*****

.
.
.

**DO NOT READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO HEAR HOW I FELT ABOUT THE FILM**

.
.
.

* I'M SERIOUS*

.
.
.

***WELL, IF YOU MUST***



Well, I saw the Twilight movie today. And you know, I'll be honest, I was not very excited to see it. I had less than zero expectations. As I have posted previously, I really, Really, REALLY didn't like the last book. At all. And when I would see trailers and pictures and such of the movie, I was really skeptical that it would NOT blow chunks (I know it's a graphic description, but it's truly to how I felt).

Fears-

1) Casting: I am a Jacob fan. Yes, I know. I'm in the minority here. Big time. But it's true. I like tall dark and handsome, just look at my husband. I have a type! And I was really hoping a native American would be cast to play Jake. And when it was announced that my beloved wolfy would be played by "Sharkboy" I was less than thrilled.




Also, Robert Pattinson, even in his Cedric Diggory days, looks perpetually stoned, and though I prefer Jacob, I do love Edward and I was really worried Rob wouldn't be able to pull it off.

Kristen Stewart was a complete unknown quantity, so I had equal parts skepticsm and optimism on her ability to be Bella. But by the last book I wondered why I even liked Bella... so who cared who played her.

2) The HAIR! Oh my word, the publicity photos for the movie scared me incredibly. The hair on the actors looked absolutely ridiculous. I mean freakish.

3) I HATED 'Breaking Dawn': Dislike, disappointed. Yeah, those words are not strong enough for how I felt about it. Loathe, dispise, wretch inducing. That's a bit closer. Half way through the book I fell asleep and DREAMED of the scathing review I was going to write (Note: Yes, I'm a bit obsessive, but Russ says that he likes the fact that I'm fiery). Honestly, Breaking Dawn had basically killed my love of the Twilight series. It was just a festering sore for me. The thing I had loved so much had turned on me and mauled me severely.

This brings me to the movie. I had so many people around me sooooo excited to see the film and I tried to fein excitement, but I really wasn't coming up with much. But as the days passed and the release came closer and after dreaming the movie had turned out to be animated with no Jacob what so ever and didn't even follow the plot (a la Ella Enchanted book vs. movie *sigh*), I thought that the real thing couldn't be as bad as my dream, so I bought my tickets and saw it today.



I.

Loved.

It.


Seriously. It made me remember why I fell in love with the series in the first place. Why I was so emotionally invested to have the heaping pile that was Breaking Dawn smart so much. I loved Robert Pattinson as Edward. The scene when he first sits by Bella in Biology class was awesome. SO well done. Kristen Stewart was a better Bella than the one I imagined in my head. She reminded me why I loved Bella, why I cared about her life and the people in it. And Taylor Lautner as my beloved Jacob was cute enough that even my sister, who is the harshest critic I know, and more angry about the casting than I was, EVEN SHE found herself loving him. Though to be perfectly honest, my feelings about Taylor had softened quite a bit as I saw his personality during various filming blurbs on YouTube and such. It's a very Jacob personality. So the casting worry... color me converted, and happy to be so. The first movie doesn't have much of Jacob, but there were some nice scenes.... especially the glares at the end between Jake and Edward. w00t! Loved that!

The hair still was a little off for me, but not enough to make an impact on how I felt about the movie.

And as for Breaking Dawn... my sisters and I are pondering a petition that if they do a 4th movie that there will be no imprinting on infants, and that said infant will possibly be less squishy wonderful. Talk about sugar shock. *Must try to hold back bitter comments*

SO, to make a short story long, I LOVED the movie. I'm so thrilled and I think I might be back in the Twilight fandom. And I think I'm pretty darned glad to be back.


9 comments:

K. Lou said...

I'm so glad you went to the movie (despite your book 4 "reservations") and liked it! Your post is awesome! And I still love you even though you are WAY over there on team Jacob.
Did your theater show the new HP trailer? Just as exited about that!!!!!!!

MaRea Hess said...

I'm glad that the movie was a hit for you also. I loved the 4th book, I think it was my favorite one. Jacob had to imprint on the baby, that was the only way he could stay in Bella's life. In an eternal perspective what's 16 years. When on is 500,000, the other is 500,016 not much of a difference. Loved the movie I want to see it again.
? Do you think someone would like the show if they have not read the book?

K. Lou said...

I have three friends who have not read Twilight and saw the movie. they enjoyed it. They liked the story and thought the movie was well-made. They didn't laugh in certain parts like the rest of us did. And they had lots of questions to which we smiled and responded, "Better go read the book!"

Amy said...

Our theater DIDN'T show the HP trailer and I was so mad! Fortunately I had seen it online earlier, but it was still highly disappointing. And I agree, I'm SOOOO excited for that movie! Half-Blood Prince is my favorite HP book. How I love it!

As for people seeing the movie who haven't read the book... I have no idea, since everyone I saw it with had read it. BUT I'm biased enough to say that they'd still like it and it would motivate them to read the books.

aubreyannie said...

well, i saw it on friday night. i wasn't planning on going for another couple of weeks but broke down and had an impromptu ladies night with a bunch of my friends. i couldn't stand not knowing for two weeks. i had to know for myself.

and, i thought edward was a stud {even though his hair and his flared nostrils and occasional stoned stares were a little wack}. i thought jacob was a cutie. and yum on this last picture you have posted here. thank you very much. i thought there should have been more kissing. i will go see it again in a couple of weeks as originally planned.

i do have my quirks about the movie but will not ruin your reconversion to the series by naming them here. xo

Lisa said...

I am going to have to go and see this movie once it dies down a bit! Just to go to a movie would be awesome! Love you!

Steph T. Nate said...

Amy, i am so glad you LOVED the movie. When you go to see it again call me and go with you. I miss seeing you and your little ones. I am still not feeling well, it's the headaches that kill me. call me lets do lunch.

Jeff and Holly said...

That was fun to read. I loved the movie also. I think what we actually need to try for a new ending on the 4th movie also. I want a better fight at the end! Oh well, I guess we will have to write our own books to make them end the way we want them to. BTW, It was good to see you on Sat. Take care!

Tamie said...

i had many of the same reservations about the movie that you did....i did however, like it for what it was. i think that they needed to use a bigger budget (and hopefully after the HUGE response to this movie, they will on the next one) and include more in the movie. ala harry potter.
i enjoyed it (though minus the screaming, swooning girls) and would see it again in a heart-beat. :)