Thursday, January 1, 2009

2008, a year in review

I do this every year on my LiveJournal, and though I'd post it here and on facebook as well. It's a nice way to remember the year that has just passed.

1. What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before?
I've been to our nations capital, finally! I had a lot of firsts this year with our trip back east. I got to ride in the underground tram the senators use and even meet a few of said senators. I've been to NYC now. I've now visited so many sites I've only read about in history. But one of the highlights was our trip to Elko to meet Senator Obama. Yeah, I've never met a future president before.


2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I'd say I did pretty well and I think having my little job really made a difference in that.

My resolutions for this year are:
  • I am LOSING WEIGHT this year. I'm not going to beat around the bush anymore. This year it has got to happen. I'm not pregnant, I have some motivation. It's going to happen (...please oh please let it happen?).

  • More time with the family, less times on the computer.

  • Learn to express my views better, and not get in a contentious debates with others about opposing views and then LET IT GO. I don't need to dwell on it for years and years.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
I had a lot of friends and family members have babies this year. My sister in law, several cousins, several friends, but I ALSO had a baby this year! What a blessing he's been since arriving here on earth. I can't imagine my life without him. My children are truly wonderful, kind, beautiful, incredible people!


4. Did anyone close to you die?
This one makes me cry just thinking about it. My dear Uncle Gordon. I miss him so much already.

5. What countries did you visit?
America the beautiful! Added quite a few states to my “been to” list this year.

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
A better, less reviled, more unified country. I don't know how President-Elect Obama is going to do, but I hope a brighter day is on the horizon.

7. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory?
There were a lot of significant days this year, but March 14th is sure to be the most significant. Not only was my 5th child and 3rd son born on that day, but it's also my oldest son, my dad and Russell's dad's birthday.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
The birth of my son and helping in the Obama campaign.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Letting what others think get to me.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing serious.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
I think I hit a home run with Russ' iPod for Christmas. It is really nice to see him enjoy something like that because he's usually so spartan in his wants/needs.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My Morgan. She has come so far, made such great progress and overcome so many obstacles. I'm so proud of her and grateful to so many people who help and continue to help her grow and progress.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
People who might think that because I'm a democrat that my eternal soul is somehow in peril.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Formula and diapers.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Meeting Barack and Michelle Obama and him being elected.


16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
Flogging Molly, “Float.” The Shins, “Australia.” Erasure, “Storm in a Teacup.”

17. Compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder?
I'd say I'm happier. I'm habitually optimistic, but I think I may have reason to be this year.

ii. thinner or fatter?
I think I may have gained a bit, but my children annihilated my scale so I can't be sure.

iii. richer or poorer?
A bit richer, oddly enough.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Getting outside and spending time with the people who really matter in my life.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
I probably could spend A LOT less time on the computer. I need to cut down on those kind of distractions.

20. How did you spend Christmas?
This year was a little weird because we didn't have our traditional get together in Laketown with Russ' family. I missed that and the family members who weren't able to come, but us locals got together on Christmas Eve and had fun with our white elephant gift exchange. Then we did the traditional Thatcher family Christmas with the exception that me, Russ and Liam slept at home and then went up to my parent's when the kids woke up.

22. Did you fall in love in 2008?
I am convinced that I am married to one of the best men on the earth. I'm not saying he's perfect, but I'm frankly really glad he isn't because I'm so far from perfect it's not funny. But there are so many things that convince me we are perfect for each other. I wish we didn't have the religious differences, but I really think that has made us a better couple and has forced us to grow in ways we wouldn't have otherwise. So, to make a short story long, yes. I'm STILL incredibly in love with my wonderful Russy.

23. The most unexpected realization you made this year?
My family will still like me even if I'm a “damn liberal.” Well, most of them do. ;-)

24. What was your favorite TV program?
Avatar, Dexter, and Cities of the Underworld

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Ummmm.....Sarah Palin? Just kidding! I don't really hate people. People irk me, but hate just isn't my kind of word.

26. What was the best book you read?
Well it sure as heck wasn't “Breaking Dawn.” BLEH!!!!! Wait, what was the question? Favorite? Oh yeah. Probably “Dreams from my Father.” I grew as a person from reading that book.

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
The Birthday Massacre. They are such an Amy band. Thanks for sharing them with me Ryan (Schwab). I don't know how you do it, but you've introduced me to several of my favorite bands. I also became slightly obsessed with the song “J'en ai marre,” by French singer AlizĂ©e.

28. What did you want and get?
A healthy baby. Oh, and Barack Obama elected president! ;-)

29. What did you want and not get?
More affordable health care.

30. What was your favorite film of this year?
I don't see very many movies because getting out with small children is very difficult, but the ones I did see that I liked a lot were: Twilight, The Dark Knight, Forbidden Kingdom, Death Note, Iron Man, Mama Mia and Wall-E.

31. What did you do on your birthday?
My birthday is in January so by the time I get to December 31st I've forgotten. Lol! Uhh.... I think we made Japanese food, but I honestly can't remember for sure. Or maybe I'm projecting because that's what I want to do this year. Lol!

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I really got what I wanted this year on the whole. Uh, how about an all expense paid trip to Europe. That always makes my life immeasurably more satisfying. ;-) Oh and "Breaking Dawn" not sucking.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Jeans and work casual tops.

34. What kept you sane?
My husband, family and friends, with a little WoW on the side.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Well, for 2 years running now, it's Barack Obama. I've never been so involved or followed a political campaign as I did this one. It was a great experience in most ways.

36. What political issue stirred you the most?
The presidential election. I'm slowly weening myself away, but I was an absolute CNN junkie for a while there.

37. Who do you miss?
Uncle Gordon. My buddies, the Schwab's. I haven't seen them in far too long. Though I'd love to see any of my friends and family I don't see regularly.

38. Who was the best new person you met?
I don't think I met many new people. Did I? The thing I loved about this year was facebook and blogs, which allow me to reconnect and get to know family and friends. I've love that so much. Oh wait! I met the Obama's! :-D
EDIT: DUH! I met the people at work this year!!!! Duh, DUH! I love those guys! They have truly enriched my life by knowing them.

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008. “This above all: To thine own self be true.” Still trying to apply it, but I believe it's the truth.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Besides the drinking part, this song fits me pretty well.


Flogging Molly - Float

“drank away the rest of the day
wonder what my liver'd say
drink, thats all you can
blackened days with their bigger gales
blow in your parlor to discuss the day
listen, that's all you can

ah but don't, no don't sink the boat
that you built, you built to keep afloat

sick and tired of what to say
no one listens anyway
sing, that's all you can
ramblin' years of lousy luck
you miss the smell of burnin' turf
dream, that's all you can

ah but don't, no don't sink the boat
that you built, you built to keep afloat

singled out for who you are
it takes all types to judge a man
feel, that's all you can
filthy suits with bigot ears
hide behind their own worst fears
live, that's all you can
it's all you can
it's all you can...do

no matter where i put my head
i'll wake up feeling sound again
breathe, it's all you can
tomorrow smells of less decay
the flowers greet this bloomin' fray
be thankful, that's all you can

ah but don't, no don't sink the boat
that you built, you built to keep afloat

a ripe old age
that's what i am
a ripe old age
just doin' the best i can”

4 comments:

aubreyannie said...

yay! i loved this post. thanks for sharing, amy. i might have to steal the idea..it was so fun to read all that you have done and how you feel about this past year. i have really enjoyed reading your blog and getting to know you a bit more. happy new year!

Gini said...

Thanks for the idea. I guess even Democrats come up with good ideas. LOL Happy New Year!

Melanie said...

Hmmm. I didn't see any mention of me in your yearly review. :( I guess I need to try and make more of an impression this year. But then again, I believe that I WAS present for the birth of your youngest child in March. ;o) Has it really been THAT long since we've been able to see each other face to face? THAT is TRULY sad. Hopefully I'll have the time and funds to make a visit that way some time soon.
And even though I wasn't mentioned, I still love you...you damn liberal, you. ;o) (Oh, wait! I think I may be one of those, too! Lol!)

Jeff and Holly said...

That was a fun post to read. I wish I had time to put one together, because I know i would love reading it later. Same ol Same ol for me. Busy and going insane. NEVER NEVER open your own buisness. I wish you luck on all your goals. I Love you tonz, don't worry I'll never think less of you. The world would be a boring place if we all thought the same, wouldn't it! I learned a lot from your post I feel like a dog that we haven't had a good conversation in a long time. Hopefully soon I will pull myself out of the mire that I am in and we can do that soon. Take care!
Holly